Friday, March 4, 2011

A father's prayer

Today my son leaves on an 11 day missions trip to Bolivia. This is a good thing on many levels. But, it struck me this morning as I prayed for him and the team that whether it Bolivia or Boston, whether its Santa Cruz or Santa Monica, whether it is ministering to teenagers thousands of miles away or ministering to teens right in our church and school, our prayer, our dependence, our trust, our mission, vision and values all must come from God, orient people to Christ and be empowered by the Spirit. So...

Father, I'm putting Andrew into your hands again today. You know that his commute is longer today and that he will be encountering many firsts of his young life. But I ask and trust that You will be with him as you are with him in school and youth group and that You will work in every situation he encounters, good or bad, to Your glory. And just as I would ask that You would give him opportunities to express and share the love of Christ to his friends, his classmates and his teachers, now I would ask the same for people on the plane, fellow teammates, the mission team he will be working with and the youths themselves. As I should pray each day, I would plead that You would keep his mind and heart focused on Christ, and allow him to speak and to act as an overflow of what You have graciously placed in his heart. You know my desire today, as it is everyday, is for safety. But, as risky as it is, I ask "not my will, but Yours be done". My real desire is that You would use Andrew and the entire team for Your glory and for the further in-breaking of the kingdom of your Son. May Jesus be exalted by whatever means You deem best. I offer these humble requests to You knowing that you do not give stones to children who ask for bread. In the holy, powerful, awesome name of Jesus my Savior and Lord, Redeemer and King,

No comments:

Post a Comment