Tuesday, March 22, 2011

But now...

For the record, Ephesians is my favorite book in the Bible. Don't get me wrong, I adore Romans and Philippians, I'm intrigued by Revelation and have been blessed by Hebrews. I cherish the Gospels and Acts. I am captivate by Isaiah, Daniel, and Jeremiah  Plus, who could survive without the Psalms? But, when all is said and done, Ephesians is the book that is solidly at the top of my list.

I've written this somewhat as a disclaimer and somewhat as a peak into my heart.  As I've been reading through the Bible this year, when I got to Ephesians, something ignited (like I needed more motivation to read and study this book) I would love to write a couple dozen blog posts walking through the grandeur of Ephesians or preach a sermon series driving us to see the glory of Christ and the majesty beauty of His bride. And maybe, by God's grace, one or both of those heart aches will come to pass. But today I want reflect on one little phrase mentioned twice in Eph 2.

But now:

Ephesians 2 is made up of two "bad news / good news" scenarios.  The first scenario is personal, the second is corporate. Both scenarios are painted in very desperate terms. Dead, walking with the devil, alienated, without God in the world. If we had the capability, I think it would be useful to us to only read the bad new and really, truly absorb it. To really, truly grasp how bad we were.  Not just how bad our conduct was, because some of us may have been like the rich young ruler, but how bad our condition was. We were not just treading water in Lake Michigan, waiting for a rescue boat. In fact, we were not someone on the verge of going under for the last time and hoping and praying for that rescue boat. No, we were fish food at the bottom of lake. Eph 2 says "without hope".

But now:

Doesn't that pause make the flip in the text so much bigger, so much better, so much grander?

"But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved"

"But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ."

There is so much more, just in this chapter.  I pray and plead that you read and reflect on the grace and mercy that you have received (or may yet receive) through Christ as Paul has wonderfully described in Ephesians.

To God Alone be Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment