Monday, April 26, 2010

Thoughts on Philemon

I like Philemon.  Its just a short little book tucked between Titus and Hebrews.  It does, however, pack sum punch.  Here are just a few of the verses that caught my attention today.

v6 - "I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective for the full knowledge of every good thing that is in us for the sake of Christ."

vv8-9 - "Though I am bold enough in Christ to command you to do what is required, yet for love's sake I prefer to appeal to you."

v14 - "But I preferred to do nothing without your consent in order that your goodness might not be by compulsion but of your own free will."

v20 - "Yes, brother, I want some benefit from you in the Lord. Refresh my heart in Christ"

There is more here than I can comment on, but I would ask one thing.  Look at Paul's heart, both toward Christ and the gospel and toward Philemon.  Paul wants the gospel spread and the love of Christ to affect the life of Philemon.  He also wants Philemon to "do what is required", but not out of compulsion (i.e. works righteousness and / or the law) but rather as a loving response to the even greater love lavished upon him by Christ.

Where are we in this equation?  Do we view our obedience to God in terms of love rather than commands?  Do we appeal to others so that their goodness might be out of love rather than compulsion?  Do we see Christ's love not only as what drives us but as the model we should be striving to emulate?

I pray the love of Christ may dwell richly in our hearts through faith.

SDG

No comments:

Post a Comment