Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Gospel in Ezekiel?

"I will seek the lost, and I will bring back the strayed, and I will bind up the injured, and I will strengthen the weak, and the fat and the strong I will destroy. I will feed them in justice." Ezk 34:16

Can my blog post simply say: Reflectively read Ezk 34? What can I really say beyond what God said to Ezekiel?
  • I will rescue my sheep
  • I will search for my sheep and seek them out
  • I will bring them out and I will feed them
  • I myself will be their shepherd
  • I will seek the lost, and I will bring back the strayed, and I will bind up the injured, and I will strengthen the weak, and the fat and the strong I will destroy. 
  • I will feed them in justice.
  • I will rescue my flock; they shall no longer be a prey
  • I will set up over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he shall feed them: he shall feed them and be their shepherd.
  • I, the LORD, will be their God, and my servant David shall be prince among them
How many gospel themes are referenced in just this one chapter in one book of the Hebrew scriptures? No wonder Jesus could say to Nicodemus, "You are Israel's teacher and you don't know these things?" How much stronger is the indictment for those of us live on this side of the cross, who have the Holy Spirit and the testimony of the saints?
How quickly and easily does the gospel become an event or a commodity rather than a profound, unending, continually life-altering love affair between a very personal God and his lost, wayward, rebellious children? Why am I not profoundly affected by the reality of Ezk 34 (or Eph 1 or Rom 8) every hour of every day of my life.  Why are we not slammed to worship or tears or both when we consider not just the one time sacrifice of Christ, but the on going grace giving, life sustaining, holiness producing love that the Father pours forth through His Son?

The bottom-line, thankfully, is found right in Ezk 34.

"They shall no more be a prey to the nations, nor shall the beasts of the land devour them. They shall dwell securely, and none shall make them afraid. And I will provide for them renowned plantations so that they shall no more be consumed with hunger in the land, and no longer suffer the reproach of the nations. And they shall know that I am the LORD their God with them, and that they, the house of Israel, are my people, declares the Lord GOD. And you are my sheep, human sheep of my pasture, and I am your God, declares the Lord GOD." Ezk 34:28-31

No comments:

Post a Comment