Friday, February 18, 2011

Stewards of the Mysteries of God

"This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God." 1 Cor 4:1

"What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it?" 1 Cor 4:7

"Any many who has had some glimpse of what is it to preach will inevitably feel that he has never preached. But he will go on trying, hoping that by the grace of God one day he may truly preach.Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Preaching and Preachers. (thanks to Kevin DeYoung)

O.K. I'll admit it. This going to be autobiographical.  I pray that God, through the power of the Spirit can use my self reflective thoughts to exalt His glorious Son and the gospel that transforms lives.

As I read 1 Cor 4 yesterday, I was struck hard by 3 independent, but interrelated thoughts. The first was "We are all, in some degree, a 'steward of the mysteries of God'". Think about it. Not many (or any) of us are called to preach and clearly none of us are apostles or writing additional books for the New Testament. Yet, God has given each of us windows into His truth that He may not have given to others. Why has He done this? Certainly for our own spiritual good.  But, what if that isn't the only reason. What if the objective is not for us to be reservoirs of biblical, gospel truth, but rather to be a source of fresh water to a dry, parched, dying world?

Thought two was right on the heals and basically slapped down any pride I might have regarding being a steward of the mysteries of God. "What do I have that I have not received?"  There is no doubt that this verse can be broadly applied: loving spouse, good job, health, ability to write or sing or whatever. The list could (and should) go on and on to the glory of God.Yet, in its context, verse 7 is speaking of the mysteries of God. And trust me, we are no less shortsighted in this area than in any other. Whatever you know about God, whatever I can trace out about prayer, whatever measure of grace we have received, isn't it all a gracious, gift from God? And if its a gift, what is the proper response toward the giver?

The final thought was driven home by verse 14. "For though you have countless guides in Christ, you don't have many fathers" When I read this last fall, my focus was as if Paul were writing to me.  And the reality is I don't have many (any) fathers in Christ. I have guides (blogs and books and brothers, although not necessarily in that order!), but someone I would consider a spiritual father? Yet this time around, while those thoughts still linger, God, by His grace, brought a different, more pressing question to my mind: "why aren't you a father?"  Probing that thought will take another entry, but the thought and the challenge remains.

My prayer, here at the end, is that you would prayerfully, thoughtfully re-read 1 Cor 4 and allow the Holy Spirit to press you to the glory of Christ and for the sake of His gospel.

To God Alone be the Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment