Monday, February 28, 2011

The Gospel in 1 Cor 15

Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures - 1 Cor 15:1-4


But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain. - 1 Cor 15:57-58


"The Gospel is not in the first instance about something God has done for me, but about something God has objectively done in history. It is about Jesus, especially about his death and resurrection. We have not preached the Gospel when we have told our testimony and no more, or when we have conveyed an array of nice stories about Jesus, but not reached the telos (the goal or end) of the story told in the four Gospels.


"This Gospel saves us (1 Cor. 15:2). A great deal of theology is already presupposed by these few words: in particular, what we are saved from. Embedded here are Paul’s understanding of human beings made in the image of God, the awfulness of sin and the curse of God that has separated us from our Maker, our inability to make ourselves over. The Gospel saves us—and always we must bear in mind exactly what it is that we are saved from." - D.A. Carson, For The Love of God, vol 2


I can add little of value, except to say that I desperately cling to the connections between verses 1-4 and verses 57-58. I can be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord because of the victory of Christ, which is demonstrated profoundly in His resurrection, which is an integral component of Christ dying for my sins. This is the gospel that has saved me, is saving me and will ultimately save me.

To God Alone be the Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment