Thursday, November 7, 2013

Give Thanks To The Lord, For He Is Good

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,
   for his steadfast love endures forever.
Give thanks to the God of gods,
   for his steadfast love endures forever.
Give thanks to the Lord of lords,
   for his steadfast love endures forever; - Psa 136:1-3

Give thanks to the God of heaven,
   for his steadfast love endures forever. - Psa 136:26

Do you ever read God's word and feel like he has taken off the kid gloves and instead is being much more direct, much more blunt? That was my case today as I read Psalm 136. I have read this psalm dozens of times before and its basic point is not very hard to grasp. And yet, today it was somehow different. It was more real, more pointed, more piercing.

After I read the first 3 verses, I had to pause and ask myself, when was the last time I simply opened up to God in unabashed thanksgiving as the psalmist is doing? How can I quote 1 Cor 4:7 (For who sees anything different in you? What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it?) and yet go through my days with just a token thank you to God at meals and bed time?

So, today I paused after verse 3 and said thanks to God. Not for everything because neither my mind nor my time is that expansive. But I did thank him for everything the Spirit brought to my mind. Great things like salvation, a strong marriage, good, godly, believing kids, relative good health, a productive, enjoyable job, a strong, vibrant, gospel-centered church and Christ-loving friends. I thanked him for ordinary things like healthy food and clean water, for access to education for me (long ago), Sally & the kids, for a safe city and a stable government, for the change of seasons, for a warm & dry house and for another day to praise him. And, I thanked God for things I didn't want, but he graciously gave me anyway. For an accident that could have crippled (or killed) my wife, for health issues with one of my kids that sprung up suddenly, for church strife that drove me back to the heart of the gospel, for the the too early loss of parents, for the struggles of a blended family, and for the slow downgrade of my physical self as age takes its toll.

Clearly this list is not exhaustive, but it was (and by God's grace will continue to be) helpful to remind me of at least 2 things. First is this: what do I have that I have not received? And the second is this: The steadfast love of God endures forever.

To God Alone Be The Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment