Friday, November 22, 2013

Five Lessons from Luke 5 - part 2

Luke 5 is sectioned off in most bibles into 5 glimpses into the life and ministry of Jesus. Its a "day in the life of Christ" as it were. But as I read through Luke 5 recently, I realized that each section has a punch all its own and that reality can get lost if we (or at least I) don't slow down and at least reflect for a moment on what the Holy Spirit is trying to communicate.

(To read about the lessons 1-2 go here)

(To read about the lesson 5 go here)

Lk 5:17-26 is probably the most familiar section of this chapter. It is the account of the paralytic whose friends bring him to Jesus and lower him through the roof. Jesus responds to their collective faith (v20), first forgiving the man's sins and second healing his physical issue. Much could (and should) be said about Jesus' priority on the man's spiritual condition over his physical one. And yet what strikes me (and sometimes haunts me) is the question about Jesus' authority. Both the forgiveness and the healing are simply there at Jesus' command. No ritual, no sacrifice, no pleading or promising. No walking an isle, praying a prayer or raising a hand. It is simply Jesus with the power and authority to forgive and to heal. It reminds me of the Centurion who said to Jesus "Just say the word and my servant would be healed" That, my friends, is the Jesus we worship and follow and upon whom we depend.

Lk 5:27-32 contains the calling of Levi (aka Matthew). Like all the other accounts of specific disciples being called, Levi simply accepts his call and starts his new life. When Levi throws a party to honor Jesus (v29) and invites his tax collecting and less than religious friends, the Pharisees get upset with Jesus. Jesus' well known and often quoted response is in vv 31-32 'And Jesus answered them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.” ' Most of the commentary I have seen on this passage focuses on self righteousness vs Christ's righteousness and rightly so. If we consider ourselves spiritually healthy, we will not pursue the cure that only Jesus can provide. Additionally, I think we need to consider the Pharisee's response on the selfish level. In one sense they were asking "how can you take the gospel to them?" "how could God possibly love and show grace to some one like that?" Two sides to the same coin? Perhaps. But I often think we may more easily identify our own need for Jesus' redeeming love and yet begrudge it to someone we deem "unworthy".

(My time and my words got away from me, again. Lord willing, I will post the final lesson tomorrow. Feel free to read through Luke 5 and allow the Spirit to do his work.)

To God Alone Be The Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment