Thursday, November 21, 2013

Five Lessons From Luke 5 - part 1

Luke 5 is sectioned off in most bibles into 5 glimpses into the life and ministry of Jesus. Its a "day in the life of Christ" as it were. But as I read through Luke 5 recently, I realized that each section has a punch all its own and that reality can get lost if we (or at least I) don't slow down and at least reflect for a moment on what the Holy Spirit is trying to communicate.

(To read the second post for lessons 3-4 click here)

(To read about the lesson 5 go here)

Luke 5:1-11. The main thrust of this section is the calling of Peter. On top of that, the statement of Jesus in verse 10 is profound, both for Peter and for us. However what struck me was that in the midst of Peter's call there is this rare moment of insight stated in verse 8: 'But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus 'knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord.” ' At the moment, on that boat, Peter "saw" Jesus for who he was. Not the baby in the manger, not the carpenter, not the itinerant preacher, not a religious zealot. No, Peter saw with the eyes of his heart that Jesus was God. And, this vision changed the rest of his life. Oh God, for that vision, that moment of clarity when we can see who Jesus really is. It would change our lives.

Lk 5:12-16. These few verses describe a healing, showing Jesus authority and also his desire of keep this aspect of his ministry on the down low. But the punch here comes in verse 16: "But he would withdraw to desolate places and pray." I could spend the remainder of this post discussing prayer, but I think Luke's point here is to show at least two things. One, Jesus' source of strength, contentment and direction were not coming from the crowds, friends or even disciples. No, he overcame all of those distractions and the temptations to short cut or short change the plan of redemption by spending significant time in prayer. Here is a lesson I have yet to learn well: prayer time is not a waste, it is not an optional extra, it is not a tack-on to the beginning of study time, devotional time or class time. It is as crucial (or even more so) to any prep I may do or any words I may speak and its power cannot be underestimated and dare not be neglected. If Jesus needed and depended upon prayer, how much more do I need it and should be depending upon it?

(My time and my words got away from me. Lord willing, I will post the next three lessons tomorrow. Feel free to read through Luke 5 and allow the Spirit to do his work.)

To God Alone Be The Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment