Friday, January 27, 2012

If God...then I...

Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, [21] so that I come again to my father's house in peace, then the LORD shall be my God. (Gen 28:20-21)

How often do we adopt an approach to God that looks like Jacob's?

Seriously.

Don't think about your kids. Don't think about your spouse. Don't think about your less spiritually mature friends. Think about yourself. Think about your prayers. Think about your confidence in the day or week or year ahead. How contingent is your faith? How conditional is your obedience?

As I read Gen 28 this morning, I was struck first by Jacob's apparent self-serving approach to God. And, knowing the rest of the story, realizing that God actually fulfills His end of the bargain and in the process brings Jacob to a true faith in Him. This is another awesome reminder that God seeks us and saves us before we ever would (or could) seek Him.

Yet after those thoughts settled in my mind it dawned on me that I often approach God like Jacob did. Not in public (I too "religiously correct") for that. Not necessarily even in private prayer as was the case with Jacob. But down in my heart, at the core of who I am, there's the lingering thought: "God, if you do this, I will do that" or "God, if I do this, I expect you to do that"

Do you see the idolatry in that? Do you see the sin in that? Who do I think I am?

I ask these questions and probe these depths for a couple of reasons.  First, I think it is very healthy to look in the mirror as see that we are still sinners in need of a savior. I have not reached sinless perfection. You have not reached sinless perfection. Sin may be principally defeated and its priced paid for by Christ, but the battle rages. And we need that reminder. Daily. It raises the value of Christ in our eyes. And it lowers our estimation of our ability to do anything on our own to the glory of God.

Second, I think this serves as a healthy self-diagnosis. Like a cholesterol test, we need to see where in our spiritual lives we need the Spirit to do His work. And where we need to work in Him and through Him to the glory of God.

I now send forth this post with a deep sense of its many defects; but with an earnest prayer that it may do some good. (JC Ryle)

To God Alone be the Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment