Thursday, January 19, 2012

But with God...

“With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” (Mt 19:26)

The more I read the Bible, the more astounded I am that I can be as dense as the disciples. In Mt 19, Jesus explains that people cannot save themselves. It doesn't matter how blessed we may be in whatever our culture sees as the best (money, looks, intelligence, power). All of these are broken cisterns. In the face of this reality, the disciples exclaim, "Who then can be saved?!" Who indeed? And for all my theological conviction over the sovereignty of God and the power of the gospel, when I look at the narrowness of the gate, I too ask "Who then can be saved?"

Fortunately, my salvation, anyone's salvation, is not contingent on the magnitude of my faith. Instead it is contingent on the sufficiency of the sacrifice. The question I need to ask myself is this: "Was Jesus' death sufficient for all my sins?" If yes, then it is done, salvation has been accomplished. If no, then our faith is vain and we are still in our sins.

There is a corollary to this reality. If God has given us this great gift of salvation, will he not also give us everything we need? I think we live as beggars because we lose track of this reality. James puts it most bluntly: "You do not have, because you do not ask". Speaking for myself, I do not ask because I do not see God as He paints Himself, a loving Father, longing to care for his children.

I now send forth this post with a deep sense of its many defects; but with an earnest prayer that it may do some good. (JC Ryle)


To God Alone be the Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment