Friday, January 14, 2011

Pray or Serve

In Neh 4, Nehemiah writes: "We prayed to our God and set a guard". I know this passage and much of the book of Nehemiah have been well covered by people smarter than me, but each time I read this phrase I can't help but think how easy it is to separate these two actions.

Maybe its the limitations of my human mind, but I often think of praying then doing. Or maybe praying, then doing, then pausing and praying, then doing some more. But praying and doing?

But isn't that the heart of Phil 2:12-13 "Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure."? And 1 Th 5:12-22 is a litany of things to do, but the midst of that "to do" list is the phrase "pray without ceasing".

Here's the bottom-line. We (or least I) need to get beyond a one dimensional, linear view of prayer and service. Prayer is not just bowing in the morning and / or evening and asking for help in certain areas or thanking for grace in other areas, although that is certainly a part of it. Prayer is also an intimate heart-level communication with the Creator, Sustainer, Savior and Lover of our souls. Prayer is a sweet dependence on the One who can do everything, but has asked us to do something for His glory. Prayer is acknowledging and submitting to the reality that this is God's deal and we are graciously privileged to be one very small part of what He is doing. And, it is so much more.

To God Alone be the Glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment