Monday, January 3, 2011

Jonathan Edwards Resolutions for the New Year

A friend of ours shared an idea about reflecting on one of Jonathan Edward's 73 resolutions each week during the new year. This idea caught my attention so I intend, by God's grace, to post one resolution each Monday. As one reads the list, it is convicting to me that I can only handle them in small doses, while Edwards reviewed the whole list each week The entire list of Edward's resolutions can be found here: the-resolutions-of-jonathan-edwards

To God Alone be the Glory

Preamble:

Being sensible that I am unable to do any thing without God’s help, I do humbly entreat him, by his grace, to enable me to keep these Resolutions, so far as they are agreeable to his will, for Christ’s sake.

Resolution 1:

Resolved, That I will do whatsoever I think to be most to the glory of God, and my own good, profit, and pleasure, in the whole of my duration; without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriads of ages hence. Resolved, to do whatever I think to be my duty, and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved,so to do, whatever difficulties I meet with, how many soever, and how great soever.

No comments:

Post a Comment