Thursday, January 13, 2011

Both Riot and Revial

In For the Love of God v2 today DA comments on  Acts 13 "As on other occasions, Paul's preaching brings both a riot and a revolt."  You can read the whole devotional here.

As I read this statement, two thoughts popped into my mind.  1) Carson is right on. Paul's preaching often (always?) has this twin effect.  2) Shouldn't all true biblical preaching, teaching and / or Bible study bare the same  results?

This second though has intrigued me. Most preaching I encounter seems to fit somewhere near the mid point of this spectrum.  Don't press to hard so someone might be offended, but don't press too hard that many might be convicted. And then there's teaching, my own included.  How easy it is to stick to the facts, the Greek, the history, the context and not press the why questions.

But if I can stretch Carson's comment just a little, should all our Bible study and even times of prayer and mediation result in both riot and revival.  If I see the true picture of Christ, if I see the magitude of God's grace, if I grasp a little more of a the magnificent plan of redemption, should that spur revival in my heart and mind.  And if I get a better glimpse of Christ, I get a better look at myself. And there's the riot. I can either riot against the sin in my life or against the press of the Holy Spirit in my life.

Father help us not waste our preaching and our teaching and our study and our prayers. Bring us to the point of both riot and revival.  And use us to that end in the lives of others as well.

For the Glory of God Alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment