Monday, December 13, 2010

True Worship - part 1

A devotional probably shouldn't start with a disclaimer, but I want to do that, since my title could be misleading. My goal is not to write about any kind of "worship wars" or even probe whether certain songs are better suited as worship songs than others. No, my objective is different, although maybe these meager thoughts can be used by the Holy Spirit to set our minds straight about some of the other worship questions that come before us.

Revelation 4 never fails to blow me away. I have to admit, much of my perspective on Rev 4 comes from Francis Chan. Yet, whenever I read it, I'm drawn to the sad reality that this is not my typical view of God. Whatever the images in my mind may be, they are rarely so grand, majestic, holy or awesome. When I pray, I often give creedal assent to what is true about the Father, the Son and the Spirit. I try to acknowledge my immense gratitude for what God has given me in Christ. And, my goal is usually to submit my intercessions to the sovereign, glorious will of God.

But, in saying all that, as I simply, thoughtfully read Revelation 4, I can't help but think I'm missing something.  Call it "true worship" or call it something else, I see in these 11 power-packed verses an image and a reality that often escapes me. God is not just holy, He is a sea of glass beyond us holy. God is not just awesome, He is all the creative and destructive power in the universe at one point awesome. God is not just worthy of worship, He is worshiped by those who have already been redeemed and those who stand in his presence day and night.

I could probably go on, but I will close with this: part 2 (i.e. Rev 5) is tomorrow.  God is holy, awesome and worthy beyond description. We (or at least I) have no business in His presence. But praise be to God that He sent His Son! If you will, please spend a moment or two and simply reflect on the greatness of our God. Maybe see Him for who He is will lead us to true worship.  SDG

No comments:

Post a Comment