Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Theology of Uncomfortable Grace

I heard a profound sermon earlier in the week by Paul David Tripp. In my mind there are categories of sermons.  There are poor sermons. There are average / mediocre sermons. There are good, Christ-exalting sermons, but their impact is limited for a myriad of reasons. And there are good, Christ-exalting sermons that are formative and profoundly life-affecting. I have heard too many average sermons. Thankfully, I have heard many good, Christ-exalting sermons. But rarely have these sermons risen to the level of being formative and life-affecting. Admittedly, this categorization is subjective and Holy Spirit driven. But this should not restrict us from sharing those sermons that rise to such a profound level.

Here is a link to the sermon: TheDifferenceBetweenAmazementandFaith

An excerpt:

God will take us where we have not intended to go to produce in us what we could not achieve on our own. Listen, we had better begin to encourage and comfort and teach one another with the theology of uncomfortable grace. Because often on this side of eternity, God's grace comes to us in uncomfortable ways. Oh I long for the grace of relief and I long for the grace of release. But right now what I actually need is the grace of refinement. I need to be changed. I need to be transformed. I need to become a person of faith. That means everything I do is based on a deep and abiding belief that God is and that He's loving and He's glorious and He's kind and He's powerful and I find hope and rest in Him and Him alone. That's what I need to become.


So in love, He will take me beyond my wisdom, beyond my strength, beyond the bounds of my character. That's not God forgetting me. That's not God beating me up. That's not God being unfaithful or inattentive. The Bible calls that grace. I'm being rescued. I'm being restored. I'm being loved. I'm being changed. He loves me and He will not turn from His work and He will continue and continue and continue until that work is complete. That's grace.


God will take you where you did not intend to go to produce in you what you could not achieve on your own. Those times of difficulty in the life of a believer are sure signs of redemptive love. - Paul David Tripp

No comments:

Post a Comment