Friday, March 16, 2012

Why Don't We Talk Like This?

But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and who called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son to me (Gal 1:15-16)

Is it just me, or do we who are disciples of Christ have a hard time talking like Paul?  Our words, our tones, our attitudes all seem to point in the opposite direction of what Paul's is saying. He is continually pointing to Christ. We like to point more to ourselves than to the Father or the Son or the Spirit.

I will admit that God is not absent from our vocabulary. But seriously reflect on how you speak about Jesus or the Spirit or our Father. I'm guessing it is usually in reference to yourself. "God helped me get through this crisis. The Spirit anointed me to preach a great sermon. The Father allowed me to perceive the truth of this passage" All of these  thoughts are fine, as far as they go, but in each one, I am the center and God rotates around me.

Maybe today we need to begin to put God back in the center of our lives. Maybe today we can begin to give Him the glory He rightly deserves. Maybe today we can begin to see, and articulate that we rotate around Him and anything we do or say or think is at His good pleasure and by His magnificent grace.

To God Alone be the Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment