Friday, March 9, 2012

Compassion for the unconverted.

We endure anything rather than put an obstacle in the way of the gospel of Christ. (1 Cor 9:12)

We ought to feel compassion when we think of the wretched state of unconverted souls, and the misery of all men and women who live and die without Christ. No poverty like this poverty! No disease like this disease! No slavery like this slavery! No death like this: death in idolatry, false religion, and sin! Ask ourselves this: Where is the mind of Christ, if we do not feel for the lost? I lay it down boldly, as a great principle, that the Christianity which does not make a person feel for the state of unconverted people is not the Christianity which came down from heaven hundreds of years ago, and is embalmed in the New Testament. It is a mere empty name. -- J.C. Ryle

What can I add to Ryle's words except these two things. First this is part of the heart beat of the whole Bible. Look at Jesus having compassion on on the sheep without a shepherd (Mt 9:36-38) , praying for the recalcitrant Jerusalem (Lk 13:34-35) and inviting all who are weary and heavily ladened to come to him (Mt 11:28-30). Look at Paul, with his whole view of the Church being one of giving up our rights for the sake of Christ and the Kingdom. (1 Cor 9:19:23). Look also at the whole outward spiral of the the book of Acts. Men (and women) were continually taking the gospel out beyond their own borders. This heart beat is summed up in Acts 17:16 and Rom 15:20. On top of this, the OT prophets had the same burden. Ezk 33:11 is but one example.

The second thing is this. I am incredibly convicted. The Spirit has pressed Ryle's words like a knife against my throat. As my heart beats for Christ, does it also beat for His people? And, if it beats for his people, does it beat for the those who are not yet his people? There are many reasons why I fail this test. None of them are legitimate.

Father, in the words of a song I've recently heard, "I want my heart to look like your heart". Allow me to rejoice with those who rejoice in you and grieve with godly grief. Open the eyes of my heart to see the lostness of those who have not yet given their lives to Christ and move me to do what you would have me do to be an ambassador for the kingdom of your Son. Amen.

To God Alone be the Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment