Thursday, February 23, 2012

A simple prayer

Not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved. (1 Cor 10:33)

Father,

By your power and through your grace, would you move my heart and mind in the direction of Paul's? Would you empower me, by the Spirit, to imitate him as he imitated Christ? I see the distinct difference between Paul's view of ministry and how he used everything You gave him and my views on those same things. I am mired in a very me-centered Christianity that, at best, will die in a generation. Save me out of this and into a Christ-centered Christianity that will joyfully give up everything to serve and follow the risen Jesus.

As I sit on the threshold of the days that are gone and the days that are yet to come, please direct my steps and my heart in the same direction as Paul and the early church. Give me a value system that sees someone's salvation (beginning, middle and end) as so much more important than my preferences being satisfied. Build in me a passion for stripping away things that may hinder one's growth in Christ but an equal or even greater passion for strengthening things that foster and encourage deep and lasting discipleship of Christ.

I know I am a small part of a very big plan. Your story spans the ages and the globe. And yet, you've called me to take up my cross and follow You. I need the strength that only You can provide. I need the joy that only You can provide. I need the perseverance that only You can provide. I need the grace that only You can provide. And, Father, I need the love that only You can provide.

In myself, I am unworthy to ask any of this. But in Christ, I can wondrously approach You with confidence. You are sovereign and do what You will. Yet your Word shows this is what You would desire of me. So I lay these heart aches before You in supreme confidence that You will honor them as a sweet incense before your throne and that you will grant them according to Your overwhelming grace and mercy and love.

I offer all of this simply in accordance with all of who Jesus is.

Amen

To God Alone be the Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment