Friday, February 3, 2012

Enough of Jesus?

And they began to beg Jesus to depart from their region. (Mk 5:17)

Jesus' encounter with the demon possessed man is familiar to most of us. It is a clear demonstration of Jesus' authority even over a spiritual world that is adamantly opposed to Him. Yet, what sticks with me, in varying degrees, each time I read this account, is the reaction of the observers. They beg Jesus to depart.

To depart?

When I think about this, I wonder who would actually ask Jesus, the real-in-the-flesh Jesus, to depart. Please note, this is not a passive, I will just keep my head down, ignoring of Jesus. This is an active, I don't want you in my city, begging of him to depart.

I think there's a sense in my mind, and probably in yours too, that I would never do that. Perhaps we think (or hope) that we would be more like the demon possessed man after he was rescued, begging to go with Jesus. And while it may be the inclination of our hearts to want to see ourselves this way, the point of this episode is that apart from grace, nobody wants Jesus.

Clearly the demon possessed man was not inviting Jesus over for coffee. Clearly the demons themselves, although they probably saw Jesus most readily, wanted nothing to do with him. Clearly the townsfolk want Jesus to get lost, even after his miraculous work. What made the difference? Jesus did. He spoke into one man's life and he was changed. The demons were gone, sanity was restored and worship and discipleship had begun.

But what about the people from town? Their reaction is a lot like the reaction to Jesus in our own day. Jesus is fine in church. Jesus is fine for religious people. Jesus is fine on Sunday. But don't bring Jesus into my hurting marriage. Don't bring Jesus into my selfish lifestyle. Don't bring Jesus into my political decisions. Please Jesus, just leave us alone. And, according to Rom 1, the most terrifying curse of God is when He does exactly that.

I need to wrap this up with a question. Where are we in all of this. As I said earlier, I think we all want to view ourselves as the rescued demon possessed man. And, in one sense, if we are believers in Christ, we are. However, I need press this a little harder. How often to we still resemble the townsfolk? How often to we look at Jesus then look at some portion of our life and say, in effect, "Jesus please leave me alone"? How often do we say, consciously or subconsciously, "I have enough Jesus"?

Note this: It is a very dangerous thing to beg Jesus to depart. He may just do it.


I now send forth this post with a deep sense of its many defects; but with an earnest prayer that it may do some good. (JC Ryle)

To God Alone be the Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment