Monday, April 4, 2011

Happy Anniversary - belated, of course

I noticed over the weekend that this blog has survived its first year. This is only by the shear grace of God, since the general tendency of my life is to start strong but fade as things become routine and other, newer things come into play. For nostalgia's sake, I re-read my first post and found it as powerful as when I wrote it. Clearly God's Word doesn't ebb or fade.

Coincidently, I also participated in a Bible study that worked through Heb 10. Since the overall title of this blog is "Drawing Near", I took a moment to reflect on the connections between that verse (Heb 10:22) and the goals and objectives I have for this blog.

Two things immediately stand out to me.  First is that drawing near to God is a privilege that Jesus has purchased for us at the cost of his life through his High Priestly role. Yet, this is an action verb, not a passive one, so in some sense, we must participate in drawing near to God who has drawn near to us through the life, death and resurrection of his Son. Second, our drawing near is done in full assurance of faith. I submit this represents both the means and also the measure of our drawing near.  We can only draw near to God through faith and while that faith doesn't have to be the rock-solid, never-doubting, world-conquering, Jim Elliot kind of faith it does need to have the full assurance that Jesus is who He says He is and He accomplished what He needed to accomplish and that God is satisfied in Him.
Strange is it that where misery was concentrated mercy reigned; where sorrow reached her climax weary souls find rest. The Saviour bruised is the healing of bruised hearts. See how the lowliest penitence gives place to assured confidence through simply gazing at Christ on the cross! - C.H. Spurgeon
To God Alone be the Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment