Friday, October 1, 2010

Is Jesus Really the Center?

About a month a ago, I started an entry with this same title.  It was based on 1 Cor 1:18-31.  While my thoughts were o.k. I think God has brought me to a point of asking the same question in a different light.  The bottom-line question we must prayerfully and frequently ask ourselves is this: "Is Jesus really the center of everything we say and do?"

If you're like me, the quick answer is either "sure" or are "you kidding"?  Either side betrays my arrogance.  On the sure side, I don't want to admit that keeping Christ at the center of everything requires effort.  No downtime while driving.  No little things that we can do on our own.  No secret hideout where I can be alone.  Quite frankly we cannot keep Christ at the center continuously, unless the Spirit makes it happen.  But, I'm also arrogant on the are you kidding side.  Why?  Because even though I see the impossibility of me doing something like this on my own, I am too full of myself to that I need the Holy Spirit to reign and rule in my heart and mind.

So what's point? I think there is a real tendency, even among Christians, to divide things into sacred and secular categories.  And while we may not be crass enough to admit it to each other, we tend to only give Christ the proverbial nod when entering our "secular" activities while inviting and focusing and honoring Him greatly in our sacred activities.  But if Jesus is Lord, He is Lord of all.  Would it change how I drive to work, how I mow the lawn how I do my job and interact with others at work, would it change my relationships at church, would it change my relationships at home, would it change how I view the ministries God has placed me in?  The answer is Yes! and Amen (2 Cor 1:20).

I invite you all to hold me accountable to this.  SDG

No comments:

Post a Comment