Friday, January 23, 2015

An Open Confession To My Brothers And Sisters In Christ

Yesterday I read the following blog post by John Piper.

We Know They Are Killing Children-All Of Us Know

This morning as I was praying I was convicted that Piper's words were not simply a generic "you guys should have known better" but a specific "John Young, you do know better". Put succinctly, I have sinned by omission. I have let human life perish while I have stood idly by.

God is a God of mercy and grace. Christ has paid for this sin, along with the multitude of my other sins. But today this one sin and its ramifications demands a change.

I must turn from the cowardice of the crowd and turn toward the strength that God provides to speak for those with no voice.

I must turn from the laziness of thinking someone else can carry this burden and turn to the Spirit wrought reality that this may be my burden to bare.

I must turn from the fuzzy thinking that says politics and logical reasoning alone will stem the tide and turn to a prayer driven knowledge that hearts and minds must be changed by Christ.

I must turn from viewing people who disagree in this area as enemies or as ignorant or as something worse and turn to a Biblical, grace drenched view that would weep over sin and plead with God for true heart change and repentance.

Finally (at least for now) I must turn from being content with an occasional blog post or Facebook status and turn to a Christ empowered response that brings the full weight of the gospel to bare on this issue and others like it.

Please pray, not just for me but for the countless people affected by abortion. We don't know their names or stories, but God does.

To God Alone be the Glory


No comments:

Post a Comment