Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Do You Walk In White?

Today is an anniversary of sorts for me. In 1998, when I was first reading through My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers, the devotional for Jan 15 hit me hard. (Honestly, many of devotional's entries hit me hard, but none quite like this one). On that morning 15 years ago, the Spirit helped me realize that I had not really died to myself. I was still trying to "do Christianity" instead of dying and letting what Jesus had already done be simply given to me. So, through Oswald Chambers, in the quiet of my kitchen, I had my "white funeral".

Below is a copy of my blog entry from Jan 15, 2011. In it there are a few references to the devotional itself, which I pray God may us to bring others to their last day.

To God Alone be the Glory

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thirteen years ago when I read today's (Jan 15) My Utmost for His Highest entry by Oswald Chambers, I was cut to the heart. (full devotional here) I had been a Christian for 7 years, had served in various capacities and had even been to a few Promise Keeper events. Yet the challenge and conviction of what Chambers wrote haunted me.
You must agree with God and stop being the intensely striving kind of Christian you have been. We avoid the cemetery and continually refuse our own death.
Has there been a point in your life which you now mark as your last day? Is there a place in your life to which you go back in memory with humility and overwhelming gratitude, so that you can honestly proclaim, “Yes, it was then, at my ’white funeral,’ that I made an agreement with God.”
So, by God's grace on Jan 15, 1998, I had my "white funeral". That was not the day of my conversion, but it was the day that through the Spirit I came to the end of my self. Is there effort involved in living the Christian life? Absolutely. But any effort I expend that further's the kingdom of Christ and brings glory to God is borne not by me but by the Holy Spirit.

Paul puts it in the form of a rhetorical question in Gal 3:3 "Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?" The implied answer is No!

Let end with two more quotes from Chambers:
No one experiences complete sanctification without going through a “white funeral”-the burial of the old life. If there has never been this crucial moment of change through death, sanctification will never be more than an elusive dream.
Are you willing to experience that “white funeral” now? Will you agree with Him that this is your last day on earth? The moment of agreement depends on you. 
To God Alone be the Glory.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the recent past, I have seen ample evidence of the vestiges of the flesh in my life - envy, fear, regret, pride, and impatience. Today, as I read Oswald Chambers' devotional and your blog, I ask myself if I will die today. Paul said that he died daily; today, as I draw to the vault's edge, will I take the hand of Love who went down before me and descend its steps or will I step back from the arms of Grace? Today, grace overcomes reticence, and life triumphs after death.

    ReplyDelete