Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Guard the Good Deposit

By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you. - 2 Tim 1:14

As I read this verse today, it dawned on me that there are several implications here for all of us who call ourselves disciples of Jesus. For now, I simply want to list them with a short comment or two. I pray God makes a connection for you with one or more of these and leads you into deeper study and prayerful reflection.

1) The good deposit is the gospel. This is fairly clear from the context, especially vv 9-10. I don't list this here to be pedantic, but because the gospel really needs to be first and central in everything we do. It really is the good deposit.

2) Whatever God is expecting of us in relation to the good deposit (ie the gospel), He is expecting it by and through the Holy Spirit. I have an ongoing, internal debate around my action vs my dependence on God, which is summed up beautifully in Phil 2:12-13. One thing that the Bible makes abundantly clear is that whatever God asks of us, He enables by his Spirit.

3) The gospel is worth guarding. This may seem redundant to the first item, but I think many of us might agree that the gospel should be central, but can easily step back from the fray when push comes to shove. Paul's day was no different than our day in this respect: someone is always looking to shade the gospel just a little. Add a little here. Trim a little there. Tweak something. Tune something. Polish something. Our command is simply to guard it. Protect it. Preserve it.

4) This responsibility has been entrusted to us. Some might argue that Paul is writing to Timothy as a pastor / mentor to an upcoming pastor. There is a sense in which this is true. However, there is a broader sense in which we all have pastoral roles, in families, Bible studies, friendships, so we too must take on this responsibility. Additionally, the call of discipleship is always to strive to be like the master. Or should I say the Master? Paul says in 1 Cor 11:1 "Imitate me as I imitate Christ" We can't walk on water, raise the dead or die for the sins of the world. But we can guard the gospel which has been entrusted to us.

5) Guarding isn't just a passive verb. I say this in equal parts as confession and exhortation. Guarding seems passive to me. I picture the night watchman, maybe walking the halls periodically, but mostly sitting around watching some cameras. I also picture some one disconnected to what he is guarding. Are they jewels or engine parts or food for orphans in Africa? The guard probably doesn't really care. But the gospel's claim on us is to care intensely and to guard it actively.

6) Finally, to come full circle, God is pulling this all together. Skip back 2 verses to 2 Tim 1:12 "I am convinced that he (God) is able to guard until that Day what he has entrusted to me"

So today, by the power of the Holy Spirit who dwells in you and with confidence in the God who is accomplishing everything for His own purposes and glory, guard the good deposit of the gospel which has been entrusted to you.

To God Alone be the Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment