Saturday, September 22, 2012

Plausible Arguments

I say this in order that no one may delude you with plausible arguments. Col 2:4

See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. Col 2:8

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. 2Ti 4:3-4

I have no idea why I would be surprised by someone claiming to be a biblical scholar publishing an article that at the same time states the Bible is the inspired word of God and that it is all culturally conditioned. Why would I be shocked when it is stated that the Bible has many different literary types and that our understanding must begin by understanding the literary style we are reading which is followed by mis-categorizing the literary genre of the one book the author chooses to discuss? Why am I bothered by an article that seems so nonsensical and politically, 2012 issue driven that it almost made me laugh, except for my tears?

Perhaps its because the article (read it here to do your own review) is in my local newspaper. Perhaps its because the article is written in a style and tone that actually supposes to support the Bible. Perhaps because as I read it I kept thinking of all of the Biblical writers and Jesus himself who warned about people who would want to change what had been written. Perhaps, most of all, it was because his arguments were so plausible.

My point here is not to refute anything the article presented. To me, that seems to take the discussion in the wrong direction. Is there merit in discussing methods of interpretation? Absolutely. But the Biblical writers almost always direct our gaze away from the counterfeit and back to the genuine. One of the main themes of the book of Colossians is the one preparing the church for the onslaught of false teachers. Paul's refreshing technique is to draw the Colossians (and us) back to Christ and the gospel. I think that is where every interpretive question should begin and ultimately must end.

My other point is that we all need to be wary of what we read and watch and listen to. It may easy to filter out the extreme positions (e.g. the Bible is fiction, so why worry about interpretation?) but there are so many shades of grey that may become for us a path toward wandering off into myths. I pray that we can read the newspaper in light of the Bible, not the Bible in light of the newspaper.

To God Alone be the Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment