Tuesday, May 15, 2012

That you might grow up into Salvation

Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation—if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good. (1 Pt 2:2-3)

Each time I read 1 Peter 2, I need to re-read verse 2. I need to take that extra moment to ask what is Peter (and God) really saying? Its as if the authors (both human and divine) have used a linguistic trick to catch our attention in order to make a very important point.

You see, this verse is not saying we need to grow up in order to receive salvation. While that fits many of the world's religions, it is contrary to the gospel, to grace and to the words of Jesus himself.  Additionally, this verse is not saying receive salvation so that you may grow up. While this thought may be prevalent in some of our churches, such a mindset was exactly what Paul battled in Galatia and we see in full flower with the Pharisees.

So what does this verse say? Three quick things: Salvation is dependent on an intimate connection with Christ. God's Word is essential to spiritual life and growth. And, salvation is not just an event. It is also something we enter into.

Much could be said about each of these points, but I want to focus just a couple of thoughts on our growing into the salvation that Christ himself provides. What would change in my Bible reading, praying, meditating and just plain living if I viewed my salvation, not as a static, past-tense event nor as a status that has been set nor as simply my name being recorded somewhere for God to check off on the day of my death? What would change if I began to see my salvation as something living and growing? What would change if I began to realize there is more to salvation than simple creedal affirmations and rote obedience? What if this relationship thing with Christ became real? What if this love affair really reached all the way into my heart?

Let me wrap this up by saying I am continually haunted by a question Jesus asked Nicodemus in John 3. Jesus asked "If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how can you believe if I tell you heavenly things?" (Jn 3:12) That question haunts me because it shows there is much more to salvation than what we know and see and perceive. And yet we don't even fully grasp the first lesson.

So today, let us taste and see that the Lord is good. Let us consume the pure spiritual milk of God's Word. And let us begin growing up into our salvation.

To God Alone be the Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment