Friday, December 9, 2011

Christian forgetfulness

"I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it" (Jude 5)

"But on some points I have written to you very boldly by way of reminder, because of the grace given me by God" (Rom 15:15)

"Therefore I intend always to remind you of these qualities, though you know them and are established in the truth that you have." (2 Pt 1:12)

In reading Jude this morning, it became clear to me that we are a forgetful lot. Whether you want to call it spiritual alzheimers or whether its better described as inattention and distraction, the result is the same. We too easily lose track of the core of our faith and we forget the primary call God places on our lives when He redeems us.

I have two brief thoughts that the Spirit has welled up in me as I have considered this reality in me and in the believers around me. The first is that since we are easily distracted and really do need the reminders that Paul and Peter and Jude call for, what is it the we reminding of and where can we find these reminders? The second item is a little more personal, because even as I write this I'm asking "How can I help  in this apparently ongoing problem that all Christians have?" So, I would like to share where God may use me to provide the reminder by the grace He has given me.

As I read the New Testament, the authors clearly thought we needed reminders of everything related to our relationship with Christ. Paul reminds us of the reality and the significance of Christ's death and resurrection. He also reminds  us that everything we have comes from God and the all of it, including our lives, belong to him. Peter reminds us the what Christ purchased by his glorious sacrifice was something beautiful and powerful and that whatever happens to us in this life, Christ has secured for us an eternal redemption. And, of course, Jude reminds us that being owned by Christ makes a difference in how we live and even in how we view the world.

Sadly, these eternal truths easily slip through our fingers. Its like playing with dry sand on the beach. But God has graciously given us his Word, his Spirit and brothers and sisters to bring these truths back to us as reminders. It is the only way we can stay on the course God has laid out for us.

At this point, the question in my mind becomes: so what will you do about this? The first step seems obvious. I need to keep availing myself of God's Word, the Spirit and brothers and sisters in Christ in order to be continually reminded of the greatness and the glory of what Christ has accomplished. Because it is only when I can see Christ and his work clearly that I can clearly see its implications for me.

And what are those implications? Here is the list as it stands today:
  1. Continue to plumb the depths of God's Word.
  2. Always ask, what are the implications of the Word for me and for the church?
  3. Continue to seek ways to take the truth and the implications of God's Word to God's people for God's glory.
  4. Imitate Christ (1 Cor 11:1), including teaching, serving, exhorting and sacrificing.
  5. Don't waste time or opportunities. Today may be my last chance to do any of this.
To God Alone be the Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment