Tuesday, November 1, 2011

How desperate are you?

Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God.” Jn 6:68-69

Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God, who has made us competent to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 2 Cor 3::5-6

Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!” Mk 9:24

I could easily add a dozen verses to the list above, but I think these are sufficient to make the point: Our christian life, beginning to end, must be built on desperation.

  • Desperation over our sin.
  • Desperation over our growth in Christ
  • Desperation over the depth and the breadth of our prayers
  • Desperation over our attempts at true worship
  • Desperation over out abilities to serve Christ and glorify God
  • Desperation over the state of our hearts, and by extension, our churches 
  • Desperation over our lack of zeal and the ever present lure of lukewarmness

There is only one antidote for this malaise and it comes in three parts. First, we must see God for who is He is.  Loving Father? Yes. Sovereign King? Absolutely. Holy! Holy! Holy! ?  What do we do with that? The One who holds the nations as dust on the scales? How do we approach Him? The one who cannot stand sin and abhors those who commit it? (Ps 5:6) Not pretty. And it leaves us...desperate.

But, we must also see Christ for who He is. Sustainer of the creator and universe. The author and perfecter of our salvation. The only begotten of the Father.The one, true Israel. Our great High Priest  All true. But, the only giver of faith? The only one who draws us to salvation? The one in whom all our spiritual nourishment will always flow? The only one worthy to stand in the immediate presence of God the Father? The one who, even now is interceding for us?  These thoughts simply leave me...desperate.

Finally, we cannot neglect the Holy Spirit. Where would our salvation be without Him? Where would our growth in Christ be without Him? Where would our family or our church be without Him? How much of the Bible would make sense, much less connect at a heart level without the Spirit. Which talent or gift would bring glory to God and further the kingdom of Christ apart from the Spirit? All this buries me and drives me to a deeper sense of desperation.

I'm writing, as usual, with twin motives. First, I am simply sharing what God is pressing upon my heart. And, it is becoming clearer to me, that my confidence is more in me than it should be and that my desperation for God is way too low.  Second, what I see in myself, I see around me. Maybe not with the same clarity or in the same degree. But, if we are honest, most of us are not desperate enough.

To God Alone be the Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment