Monday, September 19, 2011

Standing In The Breach

"And I sought for a man among them who should build up the wall and stand in the breach before me for the land, that I should not destroy it, but I found none." - Ezk 22:30

Each year, as I track through my Bible reading plan, I run across this verse. And, each time I read this verse I am left feeling both a lacking and a longing.

The lacking is obvious. Just as God looked upon His people in Ezekiel's day and found no one standing in the breach, so too today. My indictment, however, is not for those other people out there who are not standing in the breach. Rather my indictment is on myself. I am not standing in the breach, at least not in sense God is laying out here. My real lacking, however, comes when I realize this verse and all its implications, too quickly fades from the forefront of my mind. Tomorrow, (dare I say and hour from now?) this verse will be a quaint thought or a little tickler here and there during prayer times. I am truly not one standing in the breach since I am so easily distracted by other things.

But yet, there is this longing for something more. Could God make me into a man who would stand in the breach? Would He be willing to send the Spirit to clarify a distracted mind and steel a wandering heart? In what sense is God's seeking akin to my ever growing sense of lacking yet longing that it were not so?

As I sit here looking at a calendar that is full and a schedule that is even fuller, I have to ask myself, have I filled my life with things that are sub-optimal? Not bad, just not the best. How can one stand in the breach when most of the day is focused on things other than God, Christ and the gospel?

Father, as your Spirit churns within me something both disquieting and exciting, I ask that you guide me in way that honors you, proclaims the greatness of your Son, relies fully on your gospel and stands in the breach for the people whom you have called.

To God Alone be the Glory

1 comment:

  1. My heart aches in the same way when I read about Abraham preparing to sacrifice Isaac. Could I ever do that? Do I love Him enough; would I obey Him to that extent; would I truly do anything for Him? I want to say, "YES!" But the reality is that I am human and I know even with my best, I falter. I so much want to be like Abraham and Ezekiel.
    I also know that He knows our hearts. And while none of them were perfect, He saved the few on the ark and at Sodom before His wrath. I pray that I may be of the few.
    I have been struggling with a too hectic schedule. 1st grade homeschooling has become more than I was expecting and has led to fatigue. Thankfully, after seeking His face and talking with Shane, I'm looking forward to staying new today. Isn't that what He is all about - starting new?
    I'm praying you will have a wonderfully blessed day, one that you see Him everywhere you turn.

    ReplyDelete