Thursday, June 16, 2011

I'm no saint

What follows is a challenging excerpt from My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers. You can read the full devotional here.

I don't know if much commentary is necessary, except to say I find myself oscillating between a kite-like view of sanctification (God will do whatever He wants with me and He knows what's best) and a Pharisaic view of sanctification (I need to do this and this and this and...). The truth is in the middle, but the reality is that there should be movement toward the goal and God, by His grace, will make it happen as we work it out.

"For you to say, “Oh, I’m no saint,” is acceptable by human standards of pride, but it is unconscious blasphemy against God. You defy God to make you a saint, as if to say, “I am too weak and hopeless and outside the reach of the atonement by the Cross of Christ.” Why aren’t you a saint? It is either that you do not want to be a saint, or that you do not believe that God can make you into one."


To God Alone be the Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment